Advising Information for Astronomy, Physics & Engineering Physics Majors

Need to figure out who your adviser is? Check this administrative list: Advisors

If you are a freshman or sophomore, you probably have an assigned advisor in the University Advising Center. You are welcome and encouraged to see your assigned advisor in this department instead of, or in addition to, a visit to your UAC advisor.

Freshmen and sophomores

Freshmen and sophomores (and some students who haven't declared majors) will have advising holds; clearing the hold can be done after your visit to your adviser. If you see a departmental advisor, please fill out a form together to show that you understand the most important aspects of the University's services. That form, once signed by your advisor, may then be turned into the department office (1082 Malott)-our office staff will clear the advising hold (though maybe not immediately). If you want a copy of the form, ask for a copy in addition to the one that you will leave there for our files.


Although you probably know what you need to take next semester; your advisor will be happy to talk about post-graduate plans and research opportunities as well. Think you might like to try for departmental honors when you graduate (now available for all degrees: physics, astronomy, engineering physics)? Plan to talk with Professors Barbara Anthony-Twarog and Phil Baringer sometime about the specifications for that honor. Check out the Junior checklist at


No getting around it, you really have to see your advisor to initiate the paperwork for degree completion. In the Fall semester, meet with your advisor to fill out your Major and/or Minor certification sheet. Your next stop after that's completed is to go to 109 Strong or the equivalent in Eaton and fill out an AFD (application for degree.) Take the Regent's survey, and your paperwork is done! Do this before the spring semester gets rolling if you plan to graduate in May!. Verify with Prof. Shi that you are on track for departmental honors if that's part of your graduation plan. Check out the Senior checklist and graduation timelines at

Other useful links:

Get an ARTS form and bring it with you to your advising appointment at

Plan just a bit further ahead than the next semester - the CLAS website has a nifty 8-semester table and form for your advance planning!

Go to , follow the links for Advising and Tools for Students and download the Faculty Advising Preparation Sheet

There's a lot of very useful information on this site Enroll & Pay (you know where that is)

The University of Kansas prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, retaliation, gender identity, gender expression and genetic information in the University’s programs and activities. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies and is the University’s Title IX Coordinator: the Executive Director of the Office of Institutional Opportunity and Access,, 1246 W. Campus Road, Room 153A, Lawrence, KS, 66045, (785)864-6414, 711 TTY.